Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Nine Months

Nine months...the normal amount of time that a family waits for their new child to come into the "outside world." If this were the way that we were growing our family right now, we'd be about half way there. I'd be finishing up those early days of morning sickness, resale shopping for gently used infant clothes and toys and decorating a nursery. I'd also be eating just the right foods prescribed for an expecting mother and taking all the vitamins that baby needed to grow strong. I would likely be doing everything that I could be to help my baby grow strong and healthy!

Nine months...If only I could be sure that my boy would be in my arms in just nine months. Rather than taking every physical precaution to ensure my baby's health, my preparation looks so very different.

Likely, my boy has already experienced greater loss and loneliness than I will ever see. As is the case in most orphanages, the formula is probably stretched as far as possible--watered down by the caring nannies, who may be unsure as to when the next batch of formula will come.

My preparation is paperwork. The endless trail of paperwork (referred to by adopting parents as "paper pregnancy") is far, so very far, from exciting. I am often filling out the same exact form for three different agencies. In fact, we celebrate finishing one set of forms by (drum roll please) beginning yet another set of forms!! Wohoo! Some days, it's difficult to feel like we are making any progress. But, we just keep plodding forward--knowing that in the end, our sweet boy will be home. It may just take 9 months  10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 20 months. We just don't know.

The reality is this: My Father knows.

When my thoughts so often drift through these details, I find myself complaining, "The only thing I can do about any of these details (my son's health, our timeline, etc.) is pray." What a complaint, huh? The only thing I can do is bring my requests before my heavenly Father, who is all-powerful, all-knowing, all-sovereign in my situation. The One-who formed the very world with His words, who breathed life into man, who knits together each baby in the womb-He is the one in control of our adoption process. Beyond that, He is the one who rules over the lives of every child-orphan or not. He is the Protector of the innocent, Father of the fatherless. Whether my child is over in Africa or right here in Wisconsin, God holds his life in His hands.

SO-I pray now, before my child enters our lives. I pray as we bring him home from Ethiopia. I pray as he adjusts into his new life in America. I pray as he grows, eats, sleeps, plays. Each step of the way, as adoptive parents or not, we pray that God will care for us, doing what He deems best for our lives. And if this process doesn't take 9 months (which there is pretty much no chance of), God will strengthen me, prepare me, and give me wisdom for the steps ahead. And hopefully help me to be patient. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment