Thursday, March 14, 2013

Missing the Point

I love to have control of my life's circumstances. I might seek it through a variety of different ways, some of which may sound pretty "spiritual." When I begin to get overwhelmed with a particular circumstance in my life (ie. adoption), my automatic response is usually to come up with my own plan as to how I can fix the problem/accomplish my will. I organize and plan until everything makes perfect sense in my mind--then I begin to tackle the list until my plan is carried out. Sounds like a great thing, huh? I am an organized, pick yourself up by your bootstraps, independent kind of girl.

In this world's economy, this solution seems great! It looks and sounds good. But, as a Christian, when I attempt to carry out my own will in this way, I COMPLETELY miss the point!! You see, although I am called to be a wise steward of all that God gives me (my time, my life, my finances, etc.), I am not the one that is ultimately in control. My God is sovereign over all of life's details, great and small. He did not just create us, and then send us out on our own without His involvement and intervention. As God, He has the authority and the ability to hold this position in my life. As my sweet friend Jo often says, "God is God, and I am not."

God has been accomplishing much in my heart--teaching me over and over that HE is in control of my circumstances. This week, He used a Christian book study (Praying Backwards: Transform Your Prayer Life by Beginning in Jesus' Name by Bryan Chapell) that I am going through with a small group of ladies from our church. As I was preparing to lead the study, this paragraph jumped out at me:

We seem content to ask God to bless our management of the details of our life. These details, it seems, are best handled by our own grit and wit but, of course, with the hope for God’s intercession in times of crisis when he might really be needed.
This was describing me to a "T." This is precisely what I had been doing, handling life's struggles and details with my own grit. Pray with me that God will continue to solidify this Truth in my mind, heart and actions. 


Tuesday morning, our little group gathered together to discuss this week's chapter from our book. As we settled in at our corner table, it became quickly evident that each of us had come in heavy-laden with the burdens and worries of life. Yet we each came that morning--hungry for relief from burdens, ready for encouragement, wanting to grow as we were changed by the truths of the Word. I am thankful for this group of ladies. As we shared our struggles of the week, applied God's Word to our hearts, and lifted up one another in prayer--we each walked away encouraged. Our focus had been realigned on Truth. Now, we were ready to face the week. I am thankful for these friends who sharpen me to be more like Christ.

Dave and I have been busy, whittling away at our weekly checklist. I'll let you know in the next post what we've been up to. But as I've been going about my way this week, God's truth has gripped my controlling heart. Continue to pray with me that I will allow God to direct my paths. As David writes in Psalm 61:2, pray that when my heart is overwhelmed, I will allow God to lead me to Himself-the Rock that is higher than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment